Thursday 27 September 2007

Square Peg in a Round Hole

The question that I have been asking for the last couple of years is why do I carry the title "pastor"? Why do a lot of us carry that title, when in fact, we may not even have the pastoral gift? There are more equipping gifts than just pastors (prophets, evangelists, apostles, teachers) but we only seem to license people as pastors or "special workers".

So what about me? I fall into that other group. Luckily, I am in a place where I can use my giftings as I like, even while having a label that doesn't fit me. But what about those who cannot? Is this maybe while people feel tired in ministry? People expect certain things from you because you carry a certain type of stamp. This can be frustrating and tiring.

I think it would be great if we would recognize church leadership (those who equip the saints for the work of the ministry) as having some variety. A gifts-based ministry where everyone is passionate about what they do, and are energized by it instead of fatigued. I think we are going that way, so that gives me hope.

1 comment:

oljonnyhurd said...

Nice thought. It'll never happen though, cause that's not what we do.