Tuesday 17 April 2007

Yippee For Wesleyan World!

...I never thought I'd say that...

I was encouraged when I read this quarter's Wesleyan World magazine. The concept of partnership between countries and between churches is beginning to be lived out. For so long we have paid money to send people to other countries who don't speak the language and don't know the culture - and that worked in our context for a while. We have often sent them to a country where the local church is already doing a fantastic job. (Don't get me wrong, missionaries from here are still needed where the Church is struggling, but for equipping and support instead of actually doing the ministry). Short-term teams are a great way to encourage and support the local Church worldwide. I am sure that if they had the financial resources, they would want to bring people here to encourage us as well.

I am so glad that we have done away with that superior North American attitude that says we have cornered the market on how the Church should function. Last I read, the Bible was the final word on what should be done in the Church. The whole concept of being in partnership with other countries is more in line with the Scripture than a type of parent/child relationship(there was no heirarchy - Galatians 3:28, an often quoted verse by good card carrying Wesleyans). The Church in other parts of the world would put us to shame.

This partnership thing has been in the works for a while. I think the first I heard of it was 2000, so to seven years later to see it lived out and to see that an International Conference of the Wesleyan Church (made up of various nations, not just North America) would meet in 2008 made me very happy. It is about time we visibly demonstrate what we say. If we believe that all people are created equal, it goes without saying that they should have authority over their own governance and their own future. It is about time that we show we truly do value different cultural perspectives.

And...yes Druh Noj it would be Sregor Anwahs but I think Anwahs Sregor has a better ring to it.

1 comment:

Dave Mac said...

Very well said Shawna. I agree.